CPS teachers might go on strike

Go down

CPS teachers might go on strike

Post by Kurono on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 pm

I was reading that the school days were made longer by the mayor of chicago.
But the teachers were outraged because there are not enough funds to pay them for the extra hours of school time.
What do you think about this?
Is it fair?
Could this cause an outbreak and spread to other teacher's unions around the USA?
Leave your thoughts Awesome Face
Kurono

Back to top Go down

Re: CPS teachers might go on strike

Post by Chu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 am

I don't think they should make the days longer if they didn't even have the funds in the first place. Doesn't make sense.

There's a possibility that the teachers might go on strike, I don't know what you mean by spread to other unions. Any "major" with common sense wouldn't make the days longer without having the proper resources.

tl;dr diz be st00pids yo
Chu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurono on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:54 am

I was not clear, what i meant was what if this idea of extending school hours spreads to other states, do you think the teachers' there would go on strike if it happens which i hope it does not happen.
The teacher's union for cps (chicago public schools) were given 10 days to decided if they were to go on strike or not, its bad because if impacts students the most.
Kurono

Back to top Go down

Post by Chu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:08 am

Itachi wrote:I was not clear, what i meant was what if this idea of extending school hours spreads to other states, do you think the teachers' there would go on strike if it happens which i hope it does not happen.
The teacher's union for cps (chicago public schools) were given 10 days to decided if they were to go on strike or not, its bad because if impacts students the most.

The idea has been around for awhile, it's just that most schools don't have the time or money to actually go through with it.
Chu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurono on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes i agree with you, that's why the CPS teacher union went on strike for the reason you said
Kurono

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:33 pm

The money was one of the first matters settled.

The education system in the United States definitely has its problems. The requirements for teachers to teach in the public school system are incredibly burdensome, so we lose a large amount of good teachers to private charter schools and universities. Additionally, the "No Child Left Behind" act, which required standardized testing of all students to hold the schools and teachers accountable, has made it difficult for students who actually want to learn something more than what's on those tests as well as creating a classroom environment controlled by students who really don't want to be there in the first place. Egro, we see lower test scores nationwide, and teachers & schools get further punishment.

Some may realize that when they get to university level, the knowledge they acquired in the public system was either irrelevant or under-explored. That doesn't go to say there are not good people in the public school system, but the education administration at this point steers the schools and teachers instead of actually serving them which seems to be a trend in public administration in general.

To pile in all on, Chicago has been a city plagued with various difficulties. So that doesn't help with this current situation.
BA
A Member
with admin powers
A Member  with admin powers

http://woaclan.forumotion.net/u84

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurono on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 am

I found some articles that show the side of the teachers and the reasons why they are on strike
I know they want a better learning environment and smaller class sizes. Note that the classes sizes can sometimes be up to 30+ students.

Kurono

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum