Rising game prices

Go down

Rising game prices

Post by BOBTHETNOZ on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm

I dont know where this would go, but it seems legit here. So

Developers with access to the Durango (the code name for Microsoft's next console) are seeing costs rise sharply, primarily due to higher polygon counts and better textures required. "I'm having to double my budget for models," said one developer working on a sequel to an earlier title that appeared on Xbox 360 and PS3. "If we want to take advantage of Durango's capabilities it takes a lot more time for each model." This can also result in either a longer time to develop a title, or the need to put more artists on, or both.

Similar budget issues are expected for the PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) and the Wii U. The Wii U's development costs will be higher than Wii titles due to increased resolution, but utilizing the tablet controller will also mean additional time in design. Some uses for the tablet controller seem obvious, like diagramming plays in a Madden game using your finger. Using the tablet controller in other games may be more challenging, depending on how much the developers want to create something unique for the Wii U (spending extra on that development that is not needed for other platforms).

So games will cost around $80 or $90? Or even $100?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-03-next-gen-consoles-mean-increased-development-costs
BOBTHETNOZ

Back to top Go down

Re: Rising game prices

Post by Grimblade on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm

BOBTHETNOZ wrote:So games will cost around $80 or $90? Or even $100?
It's all unknown, and all anyone can do at this point is wonder. We won't be certain until we hear anything from the developers themselves towards the matter. Knowing the state of the economy, the age group which gaming companies usually sell towards, and other such factors, I don't think there will be such an extreme rise in prices though. It's true that more will probably have to go into making the games, but if they raise the prices too much, they may actually see a decline in the amount of games sold, and an even bigger decline in the number of consoles sold, which would directly correlate to game sales (due to logic). It would be detrimental to the companies overall, therefore it doesn't seem likely.
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

http://woaclan.forumotion.net/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBTHETNOZ on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Grimblade wrote:
BOBTHETNOZ wrote:So games will cost around $80 or $90? Or even $100?
It's all unknown, and all anyone can do at this point is wonder.

Theres obviously going to be a price raise though. Look what happened from 6th gen to 7th. Went from $50 to $60. As i remember. Also a lot of Wii games new are $50 compared to $60 on PS3 and 360. Costs more to develop games. As you probably know.
BOBTHETNOZ

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:01 am

This is how technology operates. It's super expensive at first, and then the price falls as the means of production change. The first Nintendo 64 game cartridges had a retail price of 80 dollars.

Inflation over the long run also plays its hand in raising prices as well.
BA
A Member
with admin powers
A Member  with admin powers

http://woaclan.forumotion.net/u84

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm not all too worried about this at the moment since nothing really catches my fancy in the upcoming gaming generation, but once it does it'll really start to get to me.
But like BA and Grim said, considering past technology and directed game sales, it shouldn't change too much.
Tal
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulReaver on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Well the problem is that the components in Xbox 360 and PS3 are so outdated, the present components are really expensive to put in the console. That's probably one of the reason why games are gonna be overpriced. Although I personally think that Xbox 360 and PS3 are decent enough.
SoulReaver

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBTHETNOZ on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:02 pm

SoulReaver wrote:Well the problem is that the components in Xbox 360 and PS3 are so outdated, the present components are really expensive to put in the console. That's probably one of the reason why games are gonna be overpriced. Although I personally think that Xbox 360 and PS3 are decent enough.

Cost more to add all that extra detail to games. Have you ever wondered why most free games arnt too much on the graphics? Because it cost less to make less detailed textures then greatly detailed textures. The only reason PC games cost less is because they're downloadable and developers dont have to pay for the shipping, making of the cases or discs/manuals and all that jazz. The PS3 ad 360 arnt decent enough, developers are starting to ditch their involvements with the consoles, like Epic and Crytek, as i heard.
BOBTHETNOZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum