[woa]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clan Classification

+4
Funky Road
Chu
Youkoi
Grimblade
8 posters

Go down

Clan Classification Empty Clan Classification

Post by Grimblade Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm

SO, branching one matter off from the previous topic about the clan: The classification of our site, as well as its focus.

What I proposed is that we label our site as a "General Gaming Community" with a focus on certain Wii Games. I know what you're thinking: "Trololol, but we're the 'WII Ownage Army', not the 'General Gaming Army'". Hovever; when we face the facts, most members here play many games that aren't made for the Wii, or even by Nintendo.

Why not try to bring in members that play these games? We'd get more members, more activity in more games, and it would liven things up a bit. Nothing would have to really change either, except for what we're classified as, as well as our advertising campaigns.

I'm not making an authoritative decision here, but it's definitely an idea for consideration that I'd like all of your opinions on.
Grimblade
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

https://woaclan.forumotion.net/portal.htm

Back to top Go down

Clan Classification Empty Re: Clan Classification

Post by Youkoi Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm

I'd go for it. You basically explained all the reasons on why I agree with it, so I am not allowed to make this post an amazing and intelligent essay about how this I feel about this topic, unlike the other posts that are sure to follow this.

Goddammit.
Youkoi
Youkoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chu Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Sure, but would we still be named WOA?

what koy said :L
Chu
Chu

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimblade Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Yellow wrote:Sure, but would we still be named WOA?
We've been WOA for years, and WOA we'll stay. (Teehee, rhyme)

Changing our name is entirely out of the question. We have too much of a legacy. And note the: "With a focus on specific Wii games"
Grimblade
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Funky Road Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:24 pm

I see what you're getting at lol. But are we still going to be considered a "clan"

I feel like a noob asking a question that I think is obvious Razz
Funky Road
Funky Road
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimblade Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Fender-Gibson wrote:I see what you're getting at lol. But are we still going to be considered a "clan"

I feel like a noob asking a question that I think is obvious Razz
Yep. Still a clan. xD

"General Gaming Clan", "General Gaming Community", same thing.
Grimblade
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Funky Road Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Okay thanks for clearing that =3
Funky Road
Funky Road
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BA Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 pm

One of the things that brought us together was a common interest we shared. I'm concerned that if we spread ourselves out to be too general, then we'll end up losing that common interest that kept us and the others here.

We can advertise that we "focus on specific Wii games" but it will become more difficult to do so as we diversity and recruit members who don't even own Wiis. It's like the saying goes, biting off more than one can chew.

This is assuming that we are wildly successful at recruiting a lot of people who may or may not have Wiis, but should there be some form of crowd control? As in a limit to the proportion of those who have Wiis to those who don't? Something of that nature should be in place or else this could get out of control and our activity will take a dive as fast as it would soar.

Here is one scenario that could play out: Let's just say I or someone else here recruits a ton of members from some online game that the rest of us do not play. After a while, I leave the clan, but that then leaves the rest of the admins to take care of people who hold no interest in the same things they do. In the end, those gained members either leave or split off to form their own group.

Pretty much a member will stick around if they feel as though they share something in common with at least one of the administrators here, and if they feel like their game/system/whatever isn't getting any representation in the clan, then we risk having groups of people splitting off because they want their own clan that's more focused on the game that they play. KoH being a example.

Also, a lot of people consider clans to be places where people group up to do battle against other clans. I've pretty much spent any time advertising with people trying to assure to them that we have a focus on community here so that they don't join with false expectations, but inevitability we stand to lose members because of our lack of competitive gaming/clan wars.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Most importantly, our new purpose needs to be to find the "Key of the Twilight" which is the key to the internet. Just kidding, or was I?
BA
BA
A Member
with admin powers
A Member  with admin powers

https://woaclan.forumotion.net/u84

Back to top Go down

Post by BA Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Funky deciding about whether or not to sell his Wii reminded me of how critical it is that this gets taken care of. Do we really have the right to change this clan's focus?

I'm leaning towards a more general democratic approach to this. We need members opinions, as well as the rest of the administrative staff. So I say that we move this discussion to the WOA News forum, what does everybody else think?
BA
BA
A Member
with admin powers

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimblade Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 pm

BA wrote:Funky deciding about whether or not to sell his Wii reminded me of how critical it is that this gets taken care of. Do we really have the right to change this clan's focus?

I'm leaning towards a more general democratic approach to this. We need members opinions, as well as the rest of the administrative staff. So I say that we move this discussion to the WOA News forum, what does everybody else think?
I'd say go for it.

And as for your prior statement, just look at things now: People play mostly non-wii games. And these are members who came together because of the wii. If that one system was our "staple", then things would have collapsed long ago. The common bond that we share is just...us, basically. (As corny as that sounds) We all have our differences, but we've all come together and become good friends. Hell, some people here I've never even played a single game of any kind with, and I still love 'em to death. It's our friendliness that's made us successful, in my eyes.
Grimblade
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Funky Road Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 pm

I think you posted this before I said I was thinking about selling my wii

But I am not gonna sell my wii, cuz nintendo's deeper in my heart than iced tea... So yeah lol. If I ever get a PS3 (which probably won't be for a long time) that'll change my whole perspective as to how much my wii gets used then. Either way, I'm still a wii gamer, PS3 or not lol
Funky Road
Funky Road
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimblade Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm

Well, I went ahead and moved this from the A/M Lounge so that members can post their opinions on the matter.
Grimblade
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tal Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:54 pm

I feel special by being the first member to post in this topic.
I've been saying stuff along the lines of "not a clan. community" for a while. If we think about it, the "clan" aspect online for most means a community that plays one or two main games and competes in those games against other clans. We play a whole bunch of different games, and we never war (anymore).
Also, you're right about the mostly non-Wii stuff. Most people here lost their interest in the Wii a long time ago. Most, not all.
Ah well.
Tal
Tal
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGameGuy Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:23 am

I guess I might as well put my opinion into this topic.

Funky brought me into this clan when he came over to the rock band chat I go to. I had always been interested in being part of some sort of gaming group, as I don't have many IRL friends that enjoy playing wii video games online. So I came here expecting that alot of the people in this community would play wii games often and was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like you all and have been able to play with a few of you, but this group just isn't what I was expecting, so I imagine those people who are more serious about playing wii games will be turned off by the environment here.

TL;DR: I agree that this should not be called a wii gaming community and should be called by something different to not mislead people who are more srs about wii gaming into joining and leaving
TheGameGuy
TheGameGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkPeanut Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:08 pm

I know I haven't been here for awhile but I'd like to contribute.

I am one of those how has moved on from the Wii but still go back and play it now and then. Now I mostly play the Xbox because that's what my friends from school have. I think, as everyone else said, that being a "General Gaming Community/Clan" would be better than the just the Wii.
DarkPeanut
DarkPeanut

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimblade Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Then it appears that the overall consensus is that we should alter to a "General Gaming Community".

Unless anyone has any major objections they would like to say, or input, this change will go into effect Wednesday.
Grimblade
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by BA Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:01 am

Tal wrote:I've been saying stuff along the lines of "not a clan. community" for a while.
Yeah, we're what you would call a social clan. Where our members are generally very friendly with each other and play more to make friends or enjoy games than to go to war and beat up other clans in a competitive nature. Our main goals consist of being friendly, caring, and fun to be with, and often to help new members out with whatever problems they may have. That doesn't however limit us from having the occasional war and tournament to keep things new and interesting.

I don't really believe that WOA needs to change is focus, perhaps a few things around the site need to be reworded and our advertising efforts need to be adjusted. Other than that, as long as everybody here is fine, than we're as good as can be in that respect.
BA
BA
A Member
with admin powers

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimblade Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 pm

BA wrote:I don't really believe that WOA needs to change is focus, perhaps a few things around the site need to be reworded and our advertising efforts need to be adjusted. Other than that, as long as everybody here is fine, than we're as good as can be in that respect.
Exxxactly. :3
Grimblade
Grimblade
Administrator

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down